Wednesday 29 April 2009

Comment on Jordan’s Blog: Vandalism


I have mixed views on vandalism, destroying someone’s property is just unacceptable. I’ve experienced my car being broken into twice, the second time they only had the option of stealing my three soft toy hippos -which they took. I hadn’t even got round to replacing my radio when the second attempt happened and because of it happening twice within a couple of months I decided I’m going to live without one.

Graffiti, however changes my view. Not because of that awful scrawl people spray everywhere but because some create amazing paintings. One name comes to my mind in particular; Banksy. His graffiti conveys his political views in a very clever way.

“The people who truly deface our neighbourhoods are the companies that scrawl their giant slogans across buildings and buses trying to make us feel inadequate unless we buy their stuff. They expect to able to shout their message in your face from every available surface but you’re never allowed to answer back. Well, they started this fight and the wall is the weapon of choice to hit back” Banksy 2005 Wall and Piece


No comments:

Post a Comment